Filing for a Going Out of Business Sale
Filing for a Closing Out or Going Out of Business Sale
Any business undertaking a Closing Out or Going Out of Business Sale in Watertown must complete the following steps as laid out in Chapter 93 of Massachusetts General Law, and deliver the required material listed below to the Watertown Town Clerk’s Office at least three days before the start of the sale.
- The business owner must provide the Town Clerk with a complete and detailed inventory, signed by the owner under the penalties of perjury, which inventory shall include:
- A list of all items to be included in such sale which shall consist of only the goods, wares, and merchandise actually in the place of business wherein or whereat such sale is to be conducted, at the opening of such sale, describing same by name or kind, and the quantity of each thereof
- Whether or not previously listed, a listing separately in the same manner of any goods, wares, and merchandise to be included in such sale which had been purchased during a 60-day period immediately prior to the filing of the inventory
- The fee to file this inventory is $1 per page payable by check to the Town of Watertown
- A good and sufficient bond, payable to the Town of Watertown, in the penal sum of $1,000, with sureties approved by the Town Manager of Watertown
For more information please call the Clerk’s Office at (617) 972-6486.